Trelleborg Sealing Solutions has made an important breakthrough with a PTFE based sealing material that can excel in virtually any hydraulic application.
Exceptional performance against hydraulic sealing characteristics
Extensive testing has shown Turcon® M12 has exceptional performance against the most important hydraulic sealing characteristics, such as wear, friction and high pressure operation. The material is also resistant to virtually all media, including a broad range of lubricants.
The cost-effective material provides customers with extended seal life, as well as a wide operating window in terms of temperature, pressure and velocity, and performs as well or better than specialized compounds in each parameter.
On almost every parameter Turcon® M12 is better
“Turcon® M12 has exceeded even our expectations and we believe no other material can give such universally outstanding performance,” says Holger Jordan, who heads up the fluid power technology department within the R&D department at Trelleborg Sealing Solutions in Stuttgart, Germany.
“On almost every parameter it is better, sometimes very significantly so, than previously recommended compounds, or was at least equal to them. Despite the outstanding performance of many of our sealing materials, we don’t often stand up and say that this is the best in market. But Turcon® M12 is truly unrivalled, fitting virtually all hydraulic applications,” he adds.
Recommended as the material of choice for hydraulic applications
Before its launch, Turcon® M12 was put through its paces in the research lab, undergoing an extensive test program comparing it to best-in-class compounds, against important sealing parameters. Turcon® M12 was developed by Trelleborg Sealing Solutions Helsingør, Denmark and tested in the R&D labs in Stuttgart, Germany and Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.
Image shows typical hydraulic cylinder
Based on these test results, Turcon® M12 is now recommended as the material of choice for a wide variety of hydraulic applications. Features and benefits of Turcon® M12 include:
- Resistant to virtually all media including a broad range of lubricants
- Outstanding wear resistance and friction characteristics
- Provides extended seal life
- Operates in wide temperature, pressure and velocity ranges
- Minimal abrasion of hardware, preventing damage to counter surfaces
- Robust for harsh environments
- Good resistance to extrusion
- Less environmental impact as it does not include bronze fillers
- Reduced stock holding and fewer items to handle
- Cost-effective solution
Summary of test results:
Turcon® is the Trelleborg Sealing Solutions brand of proprietary Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) sealing materials. The Turcon® M12 matrix is medium-filled with a complex mix of non-abrasive mineral fibers combined with additives. With other PTFE based sealing compounds, it was used to produce Turcon® Stepseal® 2K, Turcon® Twinseal, Turcon® Stepseal® V and Slydring® seal configurations. The seals underwent a number of stringent test regimes to measure performance against a variety of sealing parameters critical to the effective performance of seals within hydraulic applications.
Compatibility with mineral oil and environmentally-friendly hydraulic fluid
- Matched best-in-class materials
- Lowest friction force of all compounds
- Smallest reduction in seal profile height, giving lowest overall wear and deformation.
Environmentally-friendly hydraulic fluids:
- Outstanding results in terms of leakage control
- Friction force extremely good with excellent stability
- Reduction in radial height of the profile comparative with best-in-class materials
- Turcon® M12 is now recommended as the material of choice for use with bio oils.
Friction mapping – performance at different pressures and speeds
- At all pressures and velocities the lowest friction force.
Friction force Slydring®
- After the run-in period, friction lower than for all other compounds tested
- Combined lowest wear and deformation, leading to extended seal life
High-pressure wear test
- Even in this extreme test the seal showed virtually zero wear with no micro-scratching
- Performed better than any other Turcon® compound
Wear test – wind turbine pitch cylinder specification
- Only slight polishing of chrome-plated rod with no micro scratching and no extrusion
- Roughness values stayed very constant enabling the tribological system between seal contact area and counter surface to run in a defined area
- Surface of the seal showed virtually no wear
Wear test – short stroke, high frequency
- Prevents counter surface scratching
- Even after 1.3 million cycles the grinding pattern is still visible on the rod
- Only slight polishing of the metal surface and no micro scratching
- Particularly suited to applications where there are short-stroke, high-frequency movements.